A top Somali defense official has survived a double car bomb attack that killed at least two people.
The attack in Mogadishu Monday targeted Somalia's state minister for defense, Yusuf Mohamed Siyad.
In an interview with VOA's Somali service, the minister said a suicide car bomber rammed his convoy on the Maka al-Mukarama road. He said the other car exploded just seconds later.
Siyad was not injured in the attack but two people including a bystander were killed. Five others were wounded, including two of the minister's bodyguards.
The Somali insurgent group al-Shabab has claimed responsibility for the attack.
Mogadishu has experienced another surge in violence as the government prepares to launch an offensive against Islamist insurgent groups.
The United Nations refugee agency said last week that thousands of people are fleeing the city in expectation of more fighting.